While there has been no concrete evidence to show that clean air ducts can reduce health problems, it does have some other benefits.
Many people feel that the air that they breathe feels cleaner after getting the home air duct cleaning done. Some people have noticed that the heating system and cooling systems functioned better since the air quality improved. It has been especially helpful for those who suffer from allergies.
There are a number of air duct cleaning companies who provide this service. The cost of the service would depend on the size of the system, its accessibility, the level of contamination etc.
If you choose not to hire their services or cannot afford them, you can do this process yourself. While your reach may be limited compared to one of the air duct cleaning services, you might be able to eliminate a significant quantity of dust.
You will need the following items to clean the air ducts
- Vacuum cleaner:
While a household vacuum cleaner would work, it will not give the same results as a heavy-duty vacuum. It is preferable to use a heavy-duty vacuum for the duct cleaning process.
The covers of the air duct are held in place by using screws or fasteners. In order to remove the cover, you will need the appropriate screwdriver to unfasten the screws.
- Cleaning brush:
It is best to use something like a stiff bristle paintbrush. A toilet brush would also suffice for the purpose.
A broom will be used to gather and sweep all the dust present after you finish cleaning the ducts.
- Paper towels:
Paper towels will be very handy if you want to minimize the work of sweeping all the dust once you are done cleaning the ducts. They can also be used to cover some of the ducts while you are cleaning the others.
Cleaning the air ducts
- Before you begin that the power connected to the heating as well as air conditioning system is turned off.
- Use the appropriate screwdriver to unscrew the covers of the air ducts.
- With the help of the brush, clean the grates thoroughly and remove all the dust. Sometimes you might not be able to clean the grates well due to the accumulated dust and grime. If you feel that a brush is not helpful to get rid of the grime, you can clean them using soap and water.
- The next step would be to vacuum the ducts as much as you can. This is the reason a heavy-duty vacuum would work better than a standard household vacuum.
- The standard vacuum might not be able to clean deep into the ducts. They are less powerful and might not have a long hose.
- Ensure that the hose is long so that it can clean the mold and mildew that may be present inside the ducts. You can hire one of the well-known duct cleaning services to make sure the ducts are cleaned well.
- All the dust must be gathered and swept with the help of a broom. If the duct has not been cleaned for a long time, there might be a lot of dust and debris inside. You could also consider wearing a dust mask to protect yourself from the dust.
Whether you do it yourself or choose a professional resource, the air duct cleaning must be done well. Using the services of a professional is advisable, as they would have all the technical expertise and equipment to do a good job.