Homemade Solutions for Mold Remediationhttp://real-listings.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/cleaning-mold.jpg 425 282 RLjl RLjl http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/00f258f3c25d33a59e578f83c5eb0406?s=96&d=mm&r=g
There is hardly any house on this planet that does not develop mold. This is a particular fungus that cultivates in the form of multicellular filaments and darkens the plaster lines in showers, affects the color of drywall, settles as black spots on corners, darkens decks, and what not. Not only this, it has hazardous impact on our health as well. The microscopic spores released by this fungus leads to allergic reactions, runny noses, sneezing, and irritating smells.
Tricks to detect mold
Mold is a fungus that can develop almost anywhere, especially all kinds of damp places in your home. One can easily identify the most noticeable type of mold known as mildew. This mold starts in a tiny form with black spots, however ends up growing into larger colonies most of the times. It often gets difficult for a person to differentiate between a dirty surface and a mildewed surface. To identify if its mold and not dirt, just put a few drops of household bleach on the dark part. If you see that the area has lightened in a few minutes, it has mildew mold. However, if the area continues to stay dark without any difference, it’s most probably dirt.
How to remove mold at home
It’s now easy to keep our homes free from annoying fungus with the help of different homemade and natural methods. Some of these methods are-
- Dry the mold: Most of the mildew grows rapidly in wet environment. Ensure to get a dehumidifier for damp sections of your home such as kitchen, bathrooms, garages, and more. Additionally, fix all kinds of leaky plumbing as soon as you can to avert the growth of mold and mildew in other areas like behind the walls and below cabinets.
- Use tea tree oil: This oil works as a powerful natural fungicide. To get desired results, put around ten drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle and fill it with water. Sprinkle this liquid onto the surfaces where mold and mildew are present and let it work on its own. Ensure to scrub the area for some time. With frequent use, this natural cleaner kills the fungus and prevents future growth.
- Vinegar: As vinegar is natural antimicrobial, you need not to mix it with anything else. Add any kind of vinegar into a spray bottle and spray it on the areas where mold and mildew are growing. Allow it to settle for a few minutes and dissolve the whole fungus. Once done, wipe it off using a cloth or sponge.
- Distilled Ethanol: If you are not comfortable with the smell of vinegar, then distilled ethanol is a great alternative to this fungus problem. Spray the affected area with distilled ethanol and see how well it eliminated the mold and mildew in a few minutes.
Tools needed to clean mold at home
It is important that you keep certain helpful tools handy before commencing the home mold removal project. Some of these tools include-
- Drywall saw
- Safety glasses
- Shop vacuum
- Utility knife
- Window fan
Some other necessary told include rubber gloves, N-95 respirator, and scrub brush.
Materials required for cleaning mold
Apart from these useful tools, you should ensure to have some materials as well to ensure that the cleaning task is done appropriately. These materials include items such as-
- 6 mil plastic garbage bags
- Painters tape
- Plastic sheeting
- Heavy-duty cleaner
Follow the above listed steps and ensure to store these tools and materials to get rid of mold and mildew in your home.